For anyone else that wanted this, here is the recipe for the yummy shredded pork salad that Mom made over Christmas time. I'm going to try to make it this weekend, I'm hoping to find taco sauce at the store (Michigan has a complete lack of Mexican Restaurants and Mexican Groceries).
PORK SALAD CAFÉ RIO STYLE
Pork
6 lbs. Pork roast (trimmed boneless)
1 16 oz. bottle taco sauce
1 can coke
2 cups brown sugar
· Cook pork in crock pot or roaster oven all day.
· 2 hrs. before serving, drain juices, remove fat and shred.
· Add other three ingredients and cook 2 hours more
Tomatillo Dressing
1 package ranch buttermilk dressing mix
3 tomatillos
1 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
· Mix in blender on high, chill
Rice
2 Tbs oil
1 lb. Long grain rice (2 ¼ cups)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice of 2 limes
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
4 cups water
· Fry rice in skillet with oil.
· Add garlic and cilantro sautĂ© 3 – 5 minutes stirring frequently
· Add lime juice and water.
· Cook until done.
Tortilla Bowls
Buy unbaked tortilla shells
· Fry both sides on griddle.
· Place each shell in an oven-proof mixing bowl.
· Sprinkle with cheese.
· Broil 3 minutes.
To serve: place tortilla bowl on plate, add rice, pinto or black beans, pork, and shredded lettuce. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, chips and salsa
CHILE VERDE
2 lbs boneless pork cubed and dusted with flour and black pepper
2 Tbs. Bacon drippings (or shortening or oil – I like olive oil)
3 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. Oregano
2 tsp. Ground cumin
2 tsp. salt
6 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies drained
3 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
1 quart stewed tomatoes
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
¼ cup clear jell (used to thicken) mixed in ½ cup water
Heat fat in dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork cubes. Brown evenly on all sides.
Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion is tender, about 10 minutes
Stir in remaining ingredients except clear jell and bring to a boil.
Lower heat, cover and simmer until pork is very tender and liquid slightly thickened. Add clear jell/ water and stir until thickened.
Friday, February 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oooo, I can't wait to make this. Thanks so much for posting. I am going to be popular with my friends now. . .Though not so much with Ryan. We shouldn't have told him it has coke in it (which he really doesn't like the taste of).
Okay, so I am commenting on my own post, but just wanted to say that I finally made this tonight. I forgot how good it is!!! I put the ingredients into the pork at the very beginning and cooked it all together in the crock pot. It tasted really good.
Post a Comment