Sunday, February 10, 2008

Motivation


I wasn't able to get to the book group for the discussion, but I did read this months book; Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham. It is a very fast read, as it is meant for a young audience. I would have to say I liked it a lot, but didn't necessarily love it. It is very inspiring in that the main character never settles, but is constantly trying to improve himself and his circumstance however possible by studying and learning. I guess honestly what I didn't like about it was that it spans a lot of years in a short time, so there wasn't a lot of development with characters and relationships; I felt I would get confused with who was who, since they were briefly introduced and mentioned. But, for the audience it is meant for I think it is perfectly balanced. It did in fact receive a Newbery Medal.
So, if you are looking for a fast read and a good book...I recommend this one.

1 comment:

Cindi M said...

Megan, I noticed that this was a book club book and checked it out so I could maybe come (ha!). Anyway, I'm reading it with the kids and they love it. I also like how the main character is always stretching and learning. I like to think of myself that way (though I'm not as intelligent or ambitious as Nat) and so it inspires me!