
I am supposed to be cleaning and packing and getting ready to leave, but I decided I needed a little bit of a break from all that, so I'm posting instead.
Both book clubs I'm involved with decided to see what all the hype was about and read Stephanie Meyer's first book of the vampire series, Twilight. I only had a chance to go to one of the discussions and it was a fun girls night. There were mixed reviews about the book. Well...actually everyone liked it, but most felt guilty for liking it. There was discussion on the conference talk about Good, Better, Best and if this book fell into the best category.
Also, those women in the group with teens were especially concerned about this book being targeted to that age group mainly because of the authors vivid descriptions.
I have to admit, I may not have learned anything from this book, but It was an engaging story and a fun, fast read. So...I guess decide for yourself if you have time for a guilty pleasure book.
3 comments:
Nicki was reading it over Thanksgiving break because "everyone" was reading it, but she said she didn't actually like it. I'll have to try it out. The cover is really pretty...I wonder if you can judge a book by that?
DON'T READ IT!!!
it's true i did start it during thanksgiving and i'm still only half way through!( and have been for the past three weeks)
i don't know why but i just haven't been liking it.
Hi Megan!
I'd be interested to hear more about the book discussion. I read this in Sept./Oct. I've wasted even more time reading the second and now the third book. I'm increasingly disappointed that this is an LDS author. I thought the first book had a very obsessive feeling about it, which is probably why I thought I liked it. Like you say, they are quick, easy reads and that's probably why I'm reading them, more than liking them. I'm so busy right now and when I sit down for some time to myself, I don't want to tax my brain with George Eliot's "Daniel Deronda" that I started a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure these can even find their way into the "good" category! Glad you had fun in Florida.
Cindi
P.S. I found your blog link through somebody else's in the ward. Hope you don't mind!
Post a Comment